Madurai Kamaraj University, established in 1965, was named after the historical city of Madurai. Originally named as Madurai University, it was changed to Madurai Kamaraj University to honor one of the most illustrious sons of our country Karmaveerar K. Kamaraj, the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu who brought radical reform in education in the state. The foundation stone for the current campus was laid by Dr.Zakir Hussain, the then President of India. The campus has grown into a beautiful University township with an extensive area of about 750 acres and named as "Palkalainagar".
Madurai Kamaraj University is a statutory University owned and funded by the Government of Tamil Nadu with the recognition of University Grants Commission. Madurai Kamaraj University has 20 Schools, 75 Departments, 14 centres, 77 affiliated Colleges and 19 approved Institutions. The Directorate of Distance Education of the University has student strength of about 1.30 lakhs. The University was accorded the status of University with Potential for Excellence by University Grants Commission and many Centers for Excellence in specialized interdisciplinary areas.
The motto of the University is "To seek truth is knowledge" and University is committed with the tasks of:
- disseminating and advancing the knowledge through teaching, research and extension;
- establishing Departments and Centers required for higher education and research in various disciplines in science, humanities, administrative studies;
- taking necessary measures for promoting interdisciplinary research and education in specific thematic and thrust areas for the development of highly skilled manpower;
- establishing inter-institutional and inter-national collaborations in the University with a view of inculcating international understanding and holistic perspective amongst students;
- providing the necessary facilities and infrastructure for students and teachers from various parts of the nation and foreign countries to participate in the academic programmes and the activities of the University;
- being a nodal centre for fostering national and social integration, democracy, and to provide scientific approaches to the problems of society;
- nurturing the composite culture of India through the establishment of appropriate Departments or Centers as required for the study and development of the languages, arts and culture of India;
- promoting an awareness and understanding of the social needs of the country in the students and teachers and prepare them for fulfilling such needs.
The various items shown in the coat of Arms of the Emblem signify and represent the following :
- Pandya Gopuram - Represents Madurai as an Ancient City of learning in Tamil Nadu.
- Burning Lamp & Open Book- Represents knowledge.
- Elephant Rocket- Represents ancient tradition and modern technology.
- Lotus- Represents purity and clarity.
- Two fishes- Represents the symbol on the Flag of the Pandya King.
- Under graduate courses
- Post graduate courses
- Professional courses
- Research oriented courses
- Job-oriented courses
- Certificate, Diploma, Higher Diploma and P. G. Diploma courses
The regular colleges follow Semester Pattern and the Distance Education follows Non-semester pattern. In the University Departments Choice Based Credit System is followed by which a student is free to choose subjects of his/ her choice.
All enquiries and application forms can be had from the following enquiry counters at the campus.
- Reception-cum-Enquiry Counter at the main office,
Public Relations Officer ,
Madurai Kamaraj University .
Ph. No. 0452-2458471
- Reception-cum-Enquiry Counter at the Directorate of Distance Education, DDE ,
Madurai Kamaraj University ,
Ph. No. 0452-2458471
Academic Centres/ Information Centres
Academic Centers and Information Centers are located in Madurai, Chennai, Trichy, Theni, Ramnad, Tirunelveli and Nagercoil. There are also Study Centres in other states. Bulletin can be obtained on free of cost from the Director, Directorate of Distance Education.
The services offered by the University :
- Granting affiliation to the various institutions under its jurisdiction
- Regulating admission
- Maintaining welfare, discipline and accommodation of students
- Grant of recognition to examinations of other Universities/ bodies
- Determining the eligibility criteria of students
- Conduct of examinations
- Issue of Certificates and award of Degrees
- Formulating of new syllabi and periodical restructuring of syllabi for all courses
- Grant of Scholarships and fellowships
- Award of Doctoral Degrees
- Research Projects funded by agencies like UGC, CSIR, DBT, DST ICSSR, MHRD etc.
- University -Industrial consultancy services
- Extension activities
- Conduct of youth Welfare Programs including coaching for Civil Services and Competitive examinations
- Offering of Job-oriented training programs to students and adults
- EMRC (Educational Media Research Centre) : Produce Educational Video Films to be telecast in the Countrywide broadcast of UGC.